Veterans Educational Benefit Requirements

Veterans Educational Benefit Requirements

In addition to all other institutional policies and regulations, students who receive education benefits from the Veterans Administration must comply with the policies of the Veterans Administration and the State Approving Agency for the training and education of students receiving VA Education Benefits. These policies include the following requirements:

  • You cannot be certified for receipt of your VA Education Benefits until you have selected the program of study you intend to pursue, met all admissions requirements, and all credentials required by the Admissions Office are received and evaluated. You must be admitted as a fully matriculated student.
  • Should you change your major after the initial evaluation is completed, you are responsible for insuring that a timely and accurate departmental evaluation of your new program of study is completed. This requires completion of "change of major" forms.
  • You cannot be paid for a failing grade in a pass/fail course, courses previously passed, courses for which transfer credit has been granted, Co-Op courses, or Tested Out courses.
  • It is your responsibility to immediately inform the Veterans Affairs Office of any changes in your enrollment (such as, dropped or added classes, or withdrawal from school). If there is any unreported change in your enrollment, you may not be entitled to the full amount of your educational benefits.
  • It is your responsibility to inform the Veterans Services Office each semester or term of your intent to utilize your education benefits. You must turn in a Request for Certification form and a copy of your data schedule. Notification of not returning to Methodist University is also appreciated.
  • You may not receive benefits for excessive electives. Only the elective hours required for degree completion as stated in the University Catalogue for your curriculum may be certified for benefits.
  • You must make satisfactory academic progress toward completion of your degree or educational objective as stated in the university catalogue. Unsatisfactory academic progress may result in termination of your educational benefits.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation students must buy all required books and supplies through the school bookstore. No reimbursement will be made for items purchased elsewhere.
  •  If as a result of an overpayment your tuition payment is withheld by DVA, you are responsible for meeting the requirements of the business office to avoid being involuntarily dropped from classes (chapter 33).
  • While attending Methodist University, you are subject to VA Regulations and Institutional Requirements contained in the Methodist University Catalogue.

For information about educational benefits, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Processing Office in Atlanta, GA at (888) GI BILL 1 [(888) 442-4551]. For information about programs available at this institution, contact the at 630-7174.

Randy Smith, Director of Veterans Services, is responsible for assisting all students eligible for Veterans Administration Education benefits. The Office of Veteran Services is located in Joe W. Stout Hall, room 102.

1-800-488-7110 x7174


Friends of Music presents “From Church to Tango”

Presented by Friends of Music

Alejandro Pinzón is an experienced teaching artist with a quest to inspire others through art...

Professional MBA Program Open House

The Professional MBA Program at Methodist University focuses on Organizational Management and Leadership, and...

Foreign Film Series: "My Life as a Dog"

A boy and his brother don't get along well. In order to let their ill mother rest, they're separated and sent each one with their relatives.