Student Immunization

Student Immunization

North Carolina requires persons attending a college or university, whether public, private or religious, to present a Certificate of Immunization or a record of immunization from a high school located in North Carolina. For out-of-state students, a Certificate of Immunization or high school immunization record indicating that the person has received immunizations is required to attend a college or university in North Carolina.

Only students taking four or more credits during the day on campus are required to provide proof of immunizations. The immunizations required are a series of three tetanus shots one of which must be in the last ten years and two MMR (mumps, measles and rubella) also three oral doses of polio if the student is under 18 when entering college. Details are available in the Physical Examination and Immunization Record form or by contacting the Director of Health Services at (910) 630-7164.

How can I find my immunization records?

North Carolina does not maintain a central registry of all immunization records; however, here are some tips for tracking down your child's previous shots:

  • Check with all of your previous health care providers. Don't forget visits to your local public health department or neighborhood clinic.
  • Look through your old papers--sometimes immunization records are tucked away in a baby book, or included on school or camp medical history forms.
  • Check with any schools or child care program you or your child has attended to see if they have retained a record of immunizations required for school entrance.
  • Teens and adults, don't forget about any vaccines that might have been required for college entrance or a job.
  • For tips in finding immunization records from other states, please visit the CDC website.
  • It is important to save any information you discover in writing, including the vaccine name (e.g., "MMR"), date given, and provider or clinic name.
  • Any local health department or your immunization provider can provide you with a lifetime immunization record card.

Tips for reconstructing an adult's immunization history

  • Keep your immunization record in a safe place. You may need it throughout your life.
  • Ask your parent, guardian or medical provider if he/she has any record of your childhood immunizations.
  • Look through any old papers saved from your childhood, such as a baby book.
  • Ask your high school, post-secondary school, college health service, or previous employers (including the military) for dates of any immunizations, if applicable.
  • Understand that it is often not possible to find childhood immunization records of an adult. When you can't document having received a required vaccine in the past, you may have to be re-vaccinated. Receiving extra doses of these vaccines will not harm you. For a few diseases and/or vaccines, you can have blood tests to see if you are immune.
  • For tips in finding immunization records from other states, please visit the CDC website.
  • Document any information you discover in writing, including the vaccine name, date given, and provider or clinic name. You can download an adult immunization record card.

Immunization Forms


Rodin: Portraits of a Lifetime - Selections from the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Collections

This exhibition has been organized and made possible by the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Foundation.

Opening Reception, Feb. 11, 6 – 9 p.m....

Foreign Film Series presents "Terraferma" (Dry Land)

A Sicilian family deals with the arrival of a group of immigrants on their island.

Director: Emanuele Crialese


In Italian...

2016 B. F. Stone Lyceum

The mission of the B. F. Stone Lyceum is to foster scholarly interaction among faculty, students, and community residents. The endowed lecture series...