Methodist University Spirit Rock Painting Policy
The MU Spirit Rock is located outside the Berns Student Center. The MU Spirit Rock is an opportunity to demonstrate Methodist University spirit for various campus events, clubs, and student organizations. The MU Spirit Rock is to be painted for various campus events. Requests for painting the MU Spirit Rock must be made at least 5 days in advance. Students can pick up a reservation form in the Student Involvement Center. Rock must be reserved to be painted.
- The MU Spirit Rock may be painted by only one club or organization per reserved time period. Under some circumstances, special permission may be given to multiple groups, at Director of Student Involvement’s discretion.
- Utilize the MU spirit rock calendar located in the Student Involvement Center to reserve a time slot. Reservations are first come, first serve. Minimum reservation of 2 days, Maximum of 5. The MU Spirit Rock may be painted starting at 5pm the day before the selected reservation time. (Example: Organization requests from Wednesday-Friday. They may begin painting after 5:00pm on Tuesday).
- The group or organization painting the MU Spirit Rock assumes liability for any individual or member of the group/organization who may be injured or may incur clothing damage.
- Groups/organizations will furnish their own paint and supplies to paint the MU Spirit Rock. (Spray paint is the best type of paint to use on the rock; Plan for 5 cans to cover previous design). Please throw away your empty cans by turning them into the Student Involvement Center or taking them down to maintenance.
- ONLY the MU Spirit Rock may be painted. Painting on sidewalks, lampposts, grass, pavers, or buildings is not permitted; otherwise, the group/organization will be held financially responsible for cleaning costs and any other violations to the Student Code of Conduct.
- All things painted on the MU Spirit Rock must be in good taste. Any profanity or obscene language and drawings will not be permitted. What is painted on the rock reflects your group/organization. If clubs, organizations, and teams mistreat the rock with profanity, obscene language, and drawings the group will lose rights and privilege to use the rock and could be sanctioned under violations of the Student Code of Conduct.
- The following weeks and dates of signature university events are not available for reservations- New Student Orientation, College Panhellenic Council Recruitment Week, Greek Week, Play 4 Kay Weekend, Homecoming Week, and Graduation.
This is a wonderful way to demonstrate spirit at MU! Please keep in mind that safety comes first and painting the rock is a privilege. If clubs, organizations, and teams mistreat the rock with profanity and obscene language and drawings the group will lose rights and privilege to use the rock.
Questions and concerns regarding the Spirit Rock can be brought up to the Student Government Association at email@example.com.