» About Public
» Safety Information
Home » Student
Affairs » Public
If Electrical Service is Interrupted
- Use only flashlights for illumination. NEVER use
candles, grills, or any other open- flame device inside a Residence
Hall or any other campus building. Doing so creates extreme fire and
life safety hazards.
- Keep windows closed to retain heat. Dress in layers to enhance comfort.
- Remember to stay hydrated and eat regularly.
- Frequently-used services such as University computer networks, ATM
and vending machines, and laundry facilities will be inoperative.
- Classrooms, labs, Davis Library, and recreational facilities will
remain closed during the outage.
- Drinking Water
- Cell Phone - fully charged
- Flashlight - with extra batteries, if possible
- Cash - ATMs and Credit / Debit Card processors will not function
during an outage
- Battery-Powered Radio
- Prescription Medications
- Foods that don't require refrigeration or warming
Driving on Campus
- Operating a vehicle when ice or snow is present on the road surface
is potentially dangerous to yourself and others. Do
not operate a vehicle under such conditions unless you have absolutely
no other option.
- Some campus roadways may have to be closed due to icing. Provisions
will be made for students and staff to access the Residence Halls.
- NEVER move traffic control barriers or attempt
to drive on a closed roadway.
- Always drive at a safe and reasonable speed for whatever conditions
you may face.
- Leave extra distance between your vehicle and others ahead of you.
Your vehicle's stopping distance will be much longer on snow or ice,
even at lower speeds.
- If your vehicle starts to skid, turn into the direction of the skid.
- If a portion of Lower Fields Drive is closed, residents of McLean
may have to use the driveway adjacent to Cape Fear Commons for enter
and leave by vehicle.