Home » Institutional
Advancement » Alumni
Methodist University is one of only a few institutions that offer this unique scholarship opportunity. Alumni can award one new Greatest Gift scholarship per year to a full-time first-year day student or new transfer student who they actively recruit for undergraduate admission. Scholarships range from $125 to $1,000 per year for a four-year period. Only students who are not currently enrolled at Methodist University are eligible for this scholarship.
In 2011-12, 205 Methodist alumni awarded their Greatest Gift Scholarships to prospective students. This, along with returning students, brought the total to 364 students receiving $230,684 in Greatest Gift Scholarships for the academic year. Thank you for helping with our recruiting efforts!
To learn more about the Greatest Gift Scholarship of request an application, contact the Alumni Affairs Office at 910.630.7167, toll-free at 800.488.7110, or via email at
Note: In order to be processed,
the scholarship application must be received by the Office of Development
and Alumni Affairs by August 1 for fall admission, and by January
2 for spring admission.
THIS IS A SCHOLARSHIP THAT YOU, AS A METHODIST ALUM, ARE
ENTITLED TO GIVE AT NO COST TO YOURSELF.
WHAT IS THE GREATEST GIFT SCHOLARSHIP?
The Greatest Gift Scholarship program is a recruiting tool to be used by alumni only. The application must reflect that the alumnus/alumna has actively recruited the student to attend Methodist University.
*Alumni may award only one scholarship per academic school year.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE GREATEST GIFT SCHOLARSHIP?
The scholarship is initially awarded to a student who:
- is a new full-time undergraduate student (freshman or transfer)
- is enrolled in the day program only
- meets all the requirements for admission to Methodist University
- A student may be the recipient of only one Greatest Gift Scholarship.
HOW CAN A STUDENT BE NOMINATED FOR THE GREATEST GIFT SCHOLARSHIP?
In order to nominate a student for the Greatest Gift Scholarship, the alumnus/alumna must request an application form from the Office of Alumni Affairs. When the form is returned, the Director of Alumni Affairs and Financial Aid will approve it, provided all requirements are met.
The following guidelines must be observed:
- Students cannot solicit the receipt of the Greatest Gift Scholarship for themselves. This would be in strict violation of the intent of the scholarship as a recruitment tool.
- Faculty and staff members of Methodist University cannot solicit alumni to award their scholarship to prospective students.
- Prospective athletes who are recruited by members of the Methodist University athletic staff to participate in the college athletic program are eligible to receive a Greatest Gift Scholarship, provided it does not exceed the student's need as calculated by Congressional Methodology.
- In order for the student to qualify, the Greatest Gift Scholarship must be designated 30 days prior to the student's first enrollment date at Methodist University.
HOW MUCH IS AWARDED TO THE STUDENT IF NOMINATION IS APPROVED?
Based on financial need and if the student is either a residential or commuting student, the amount ranges from $125 - $1,000. The amount is determined strictly by the Financial Aid Office. The Alumni Office forwards a copy of the completed form to the Financial Aid Office upon receipt. The student will then be notified the amount from that Financial Office.
WHAT IS THE DURATION OF THE GREATEST GIFT SCHOLARSHIP?
The scholarship will be applicable for an academic year, but not available for summer school or continuing education classes.
It will be a renewable scholarship, provided the student has a 1.75 grade point average at the end of the freshman year and a 2.00 each year thereafter, to be determined at the end of each academic year.