MU E-Mail Login Give to MU MU Blackboard Login MU QEP MU on Facebook MU on Twitter MU on YouTube MU Publications on Issuu MU Photosets on Flickr

 » Admissions at MU

 » Admissions Type

 » Other Important Links


MU Home » Admissions

Transfer Students

Applicants seeking admission as transfer students must fulfill the following requirements. They must have official copies of all high school transcripts or high school equivalency diploma/test results, and post-secondary transcripts forwarded to the Admissions office. An official transcript is one that has been issued by an institution and received by Methodist University in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution or delivered through a secure electronic resource. Paper transcripts must contain the official school seal or stamp and signature of the Registrar to be considered official. Transfer students must show overall academic success at all former institutions. Standardized test scores (SAT or ACT scores) must also be provided unless the student will be over 21 years old prior to enrollment or the student has completed 31 semester hours of transferable course work. For students with more than 31 semester hours of college credit, the admissions decision will be based solely on collegiate performance. For students with less than 31 semester hours of college credit, admissions decisions will also take high school performance into consideration. All transfer students must be eligible to return to the last post-secondary institution attended. All transfer students must successfully complete the English Placement Examination before registering for classes. To schedule an appointment for the English Placement Examination, call (910) 630-7151.

A complete transfer admissions file includes:

  • Completed application for admission
  • Official (final) high school transcripts or high school equivalency results
  • Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
  • If the student attended a high school or post-secondary institution outside of the U.S. or a U.S. territory, the transcripts must be translated and evaluated for U.S. equivalency by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services member
  • SAT or ACT scores (if under 21 years old at time of enrollment or less than 31 s.h. of transferable course work)
  • $50 Application fee (application fee waived for online applicants)

Although Methodist University has a rolling admissions deadline, we encourage students to apply as early as possible. Once a file is complete it is typically read, and students are notified of their status, within seven to fourteen days. When all post-secondary transcripts are received by the admissions office, those transcripts are sent to the registrars office for evaluation of transfer credit. We welcome qualified applicants for the fall or spring semester.

School Codes

ACT Code: 3127

SAT Code: 5426

Title IV Code: 002946

Transcript Evaluation

Once the student is accepted and the Office of Admissions has received official transcripts from all previous institutions, those transcripts will be sent to the Registrar’s Office for an official transfer evaluation. Typically, transfer evaluations are completed and mailed to the student within 10-14 days of the receipt of all official transcripts. No unofficial evaluations will be completed and all official transcripts must be received in order for an official evaluation to be performed. In determining the transferability of academic credit, the following minimum guidelines will be followed, with the understanding that Methodist University is at no time under any obligation, legal or otherwise, to accept the academic credits of any institution, except where provided for in reciprocal contractual agreements among colleges. The following guidelines apply to all transferable credits:

  1. The course must have been completed at an institution that was accredited by a regionally accrediting agency at the time the grade was earned.
  2. In order for a class to transfer it must be graded with a grade of “C-” or better.
  3. In order for a class to transfer it must be a course offered at Methodist University or must fall within an academic area offered at Methodist University.
  4. A maximum of 62 semester hours of course work will be accepted from two-year post secondary institutions. Only courses which fulfill 100/200 level courses at Methodist University will be transferred from a community/junior college.
  5. A maximum of 62 semester hours of credit can be earned through non-traditional learning sources. A maximum of 45 semester hours of credit can be earned through CLEP General Examinations, CLEP Subject Examinations, College Board Advanced Placement Examinations, the ACT Proficiency Examination Program (PEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST’s), USAFI Subject Standardized Testes (USST’s) and USAFI End-Of-Course Examinations. Credit may also be awarded for military experience in accordance with the recommendations stated in the ACE Guide.
  6. A maximum of 95 semester hours of course work, from all sources, will be accepted as transfer credit by Methodist University. To complete a degree at Methodist University at least 25% of the credit semester hours must be earned through instruction by Methodist University.
  7. Courses taught as 100/200 level courses at any institution will not be transferred as equivalent to 300/400 level courses at Methodist University.

Financial Aid for Transfer Students

A private college education is no small investment, but it is probably the most important investment you will ever make. Methodist University is committed to helping defray the cost to as many of our students (and their families) as possible. After January you will be able to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year. While the FAFSA form is the only application required for all need-based scholarship, grant, loan and work-study opportunities at Methodist University, it should not be the only scholarship application that you complete. We strongly recommend that each student search for outside scholarships through a number of resources, including online scholarship search programs, scholarship handbooks and information available in most high school guidance offices.

Students transferring from accredited institutions who have maintained a cumulative GPA of 3.1 or better (on a four point scale) on thirty-one (31) semester hours or more of college level work at the previous institution(s) will be awarded a Transfer Scholarship. Renewal of Transfer Scholarships is determined at the end of a two-semester period and is contingent on the student making satisfactory academic progress. Students seeking re-admission to Methodist University are ineligible to be considered for this scholarship.

Residential Commuter
3.7 3.4 3.1 3.7 3.4 3.1
$13,000 $10,750 $10,000 $8,750 $7,750 $7,000

Pay your enrollment deposit

Complete the Confirmation of Enrollment Form and submit this form and your enrollment deposit (if required…Your acceptance letter will tell you if you need to pay an enrollment deposit and how much to pay). The enrollment deposit is the “next step” once you have made the decision to attend MC. Housing assignments, class schedules and orientation require that you pay this deposit. It is important to remember that the enrollment deposit is non-refundable, so you don’t want to pay it until you are positive that you will be attending MC. May 1st is the priority deadline for the enrollment deposit; however, deposits will be accepted on a space-available basis after May 1st. Students accepted to the PGA Golf Management (PGM) program will be notified of the enrollment deposit deadline in their PGM acceptance letter.

Class Registration

Day transfer students who have paid the enrollment deposit will be contacted by an academic advisor to pre-register for courses.

Useful Links

Accepted Students
Contact Admissions
Confirmation of Enrollment Form
Pay Your Enrollment Deposit
Financial Aid
FAFSA PIN request
Scholarship Search Links
Class Schedules
Curriculum Checksheets
Academic Catalogue
Housing & Residence Life
Housing Contract
First Year Experience
First Year Experience Application
Student Health Form/Athletic Physical
Transfer Credit from North Carolina Community Colleges