Effective communication is a necessary part of everything you do at home, play, and work. Your ability is dependent on a particular skill set and various competencies that fit the demands of the situation along with organizational abilities, time-management skills, critical thinking, and the ability to make good decisions; being an effective communicator is central to these important activities.
Within Leadership Communication there are several distinct disciplines such as technology, critical listening, intercultural, interpersonal, small group, mass communications, organizational, political, rhetorical, and environmental communication.
Other programs and courses include journalism, film criticism, persuasion, public relations, political science, radio, television, film production, and computer-mediated communication.
- Community relations director
- Corporate communication director
- Special events coordinator
- Health services coordinator
- Community affairs liaison
- Information analyst
- Publication editor
- Communication consultant
- Labor relations specialist
- Government contractor
Requirements for the Major
Required Courses – 12 s.h.
- ACL 1510 Speech Communication (3 s.h.)
- ACL 3540 Strategic Business and Professional Communication (3 s.h.)
- ACL 4700 Applied Communication Project (3 s.h.)
- LSS 3000 Principles of Leadership (3 s.h.)
Elective Courses – Select 18 s.h.
- ACL 3000 Argumentation and Advocacy (3 s.h.)
- ACL 3400 Theories and Techniques of Effective Listening (3 s.h.)
- ACL 3600 Exploring Cross-Cultural Communication (3 s.h.)
- ACL 3700 Results-Oriented Persuasion (3 s.h.)
- ACL 3710 Effective Interpersonal Communication (3 s.h.)
- ACL 3750 Small Group Communication Skills (3 s.h.)
- ACL 3900 Collaborative Conflict Management (3 s.h.)
- LSS 3250 Theories and Techniques of Leadership (3 s.h.)
- LSS 3400 Issues in Contemporary Leadership (3 s.h.)
- LSS 3750 Future-Oriented Leadership (3 s.h.)
NOTE: Students with prior military service, who are active duty, or are enrolled in the MU Green-to- Gold program, can earn up to 6 credit hours for work experience and/or course completion.
- MSL 1010 Intro to the Army and Critical Thinking (1 s.h.)
- MSL 1020 Intro to Tactical Leadership (1 s.h.)
- MSL 2010 Leadership and Decision Making (2 s.h.)
- MSL 2020 Foundations of Tactical Leadership (2 s.h.)