See the Music Department Web Site for information about audtions, scholarships, performing opportunites, music events, and department open houses.
Requirements for the major in Music with a Concentration in Arts Management (B.A.)
- To be accepted as a candidate for a B.A. in Arts Management (Music), the student must audition successfully no later than the end of the fourth semester.
- Continuous enrollment in MUS 0710 (with a passing grade). 8 semesters total.
- 32 s.h. of MUS 1070, 1080, 1600 (if necessary), 1610, 1620, 2070, 2080, 2600, 2610, 2620, 3110, 3130, 3880, 4190, plus 2 additional courses in 4640, 4650, or 4660; and foreign language courses in one language through the 1020-level or demonstration of competence (German, French, or Italian recommended);
- Continuous enrollment in the major instrument is required. A minimum of 16 continuous semester hours of applied lessons (C or higher) is required for graduation. All students receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Music with a concentration in Arts Management are required to complete 16 semester hours on one instrument or in voice. Percussionists must complete no fewer than 16 semester hours of applied lessons, with at least 10 semester hours in applied percussion-orchestral.
- For students whose major instrument is not piano, satisfactory completion of the Piano Proficiency Exam is required.
- Continuous enrollment in ensemble in your major instrument or voice is required. A minimum of 8 credits of large ensemble (Concert Band, MUS 3480/3490), Noblemen (MUS 3280/3290), or Women’s Chorus (MUS 3860/3870), approved string or orchestra ensemble, or Guitar Ensemble (MUS 3260 -3270) is required for graduation. Guitar majors must enroll in one of these ensembles whether guitar ensemble is scheduled or not in any given semester.
- A half recital in the major instrument is required for graduation
- For instrumental majors, a minimum of two semesters of voice lessons or participation in Noblemen or Women’s Chorus (with instructor permission) is required.
- For vocal majors, a minimum of two semesters of instrumental lessons or participation in Marching Band or Concert Band (with instructor permission) is recommended
- Enrollment in upper 3000-4000 level courses is predicated on successful completion of 1000-2000 level classes.
- B.A. in Music with a concentration in Arts Management students must also complete the following courses: ARH 1510; THE 1620; ACC 2510; BUS 2250, 3430 and 3450; MKT 2510 and 3800.
Requirements for the Minor in Secondary Instrument/Voice
Applied lessons (8 semester hours – 4 semesters). No senior recital is required, but student must perform on semester student recitals and juries. This minor is only available to music majors.