The Athletic Training Program at Methodist University is a Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE) accredited undergraduate educational program. The program is designed to prepare students for the professional opportunities as BOC Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC). Students accepted into the program will be working toward either a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training degree.
Methodist University is very fortunate to have six Certified Athletic Trainers on staff, a great advantage at the NCAA Division III level of athletics. In addition, students in the program will receive individual didactic and clinical instruction in both the classroom and in the athletic training facility from the staff as well as advising and instruction from the Athletic Training Program faculty.
Athletic training students gain valuable experience working with the athletes and coaches of the Monarchs nineteen NCAA Division III varsity athletic programs, many of which are nationally ranked and are perennial USA South Athletic Conference powers. Each student is assigned to a certified athletic training staff member for individualized clinical education in a variety of athletic settings. Athletic training students are expected to attend all practices and home events as assigned by the supervising certified athletic trainer.
All students in the Athletic Training Program are expected to become members of the Methodist University Student Athletic Trainers Association and the NATA.
Methodist University has two Athletic Training facilities in the March F. Riddle Physical Activities Center, which opened in January of 1990. In addition, there are classrooms and the main athletics gymnasium contained within. All Athletic Training courses have been taught in the Riddle Center, but will move to join the DPT Program the McLean Health Sciences Building beginning in the summer of 2016. The college is fortunate to have separate facilities for football, soccer, baseball, softball and golf on campus.
The Athletic Training facilities are used for teaching purposes and for the treatment and rehabilitation of student-athletes. The facilities are equipped with muscle stimulation and ultrasound units, whirlpools, ice machines, free weights, a hydrocollator unit and various other pieces of rehabilitation equipment.
Requirements for the Major in Athletic Training
73 s.h., including that include the following courses:
- ATP 1110 Introduction to Athletic Training (1 s.h.)
- ATP 1120 Clinical Methods in Athletic Training (2 s.h.)
- ATP 1200 Athletic Training Emergency Care (2 s.h.)
- ATP 2200 Basic Athletic Training (2 s.h.)
- ATP 2300 Psychosocial Aspects of Healthcare (3 s.h.)
- ATP 2310 Clinical Experience I (3 s.h.)
- ATP 2320 Clinical Experience II (3 s.h.)
- ATP 2850 Kinetic Human Anatomy (or BIO 3060) (3 or 4 s.h.)
- ATP 2860 Human Physiology & Diseases (or PXS 2860 or BIO 3080) (3 or 4 s.h.)
- ATP 3180 Clinical Examination and Diagnosis I (3 s.h.)
- ATP 3190 Clinical Examination and Diagnosis II (3 s.h.)
- ATP 3210 General Medicine & Pharmacology I (2 s.h.)
- ATP 3220 General Medicine & Pharmacology II (2 s.h.)
- ATP 3300 Research Methods (3 s.h.)
- ATP 3310 Clinical Experience III (3 s.h.)
- ATP 3320 Clinical Experience IV (3 s.h.)
- ATP 3810 Therapeutic Interventions I (3 s.h.)
- ATP 3820 Therapeutic Interventions II (3 s.h.)
- ATP 3830 Therapeutic Interventions III (3 s.h.)
- ATP 4120 Senior Seminar (2 s.h.)
- ATP 4840 Organization and Administration in AT (3 s.h.)
- PXS 2400 Human Nutrition (3 s.h.)
- PXS 2900 Principles of Physical Conditioning (3 s.h.)
- PXS 3012 Biomechanics (3 s.h.)
- PXS 4040 Exercise Physiology (3 s.h.)
- PSY 1010 General Psychology (3 s.h.)
Two of the following:
- ATP 4000 Field Experience (3 s.h.)
- ATP 4010 Field Experience (3 s.h.)
- ATP 4020 Field Experience (3 s.h.)
The wellness core requirement is completed as part of the Athletic Training degree.
Athletic training students are required to maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.5 and must complete all ATP courses with a 2.5 GPA or higher and a grade of C or better.